Shaping the Future of Education in Mt. Vernon
The Mt. Vernon Education Foundation (MVEF) is at the heart of educational excellence in our community. Since its inception, the foundation has been instrumental in supporting innovative educational programs, providing scholarships, and ensuring that every student in Mt. Vernon has the resources they need to succeed. As we continue to grow and expand our impact, we are excited to announce that we are seeking passionate individuals to join our dedicated team.
We are currently looking to fill two open board seats. This is a unique opportunity for individuals who are deeply committed to education and want to make a lasting difference in the lives of our students and the broader Mt. Vernon community.
Seeking candidates having experience in leadership, legal, fundraising, finance, or education (though all backgrounds will be considered).
How to Apply
If you are passionate about education and believe you can contribute to the continued success and growth of the Mt. Vernon Education Foundation, we encourage you to apply. We have included the board job description below for your review. Please send a letter detailing your interest and qualifications, to Renee Oldham by November 20, 2023.
Position: Board Member
Reports To: Board President
Term: 3 years, renewable
Purpose of the Role:
To collaboratively ensure that the Mt. Vernon Education Foundation achieves its mission, vision, and goals through effective governance, resource allocation, public image enhancement, and organizational planning. The board members will also fulfill specific responsibilities as established by the board.
Roles of the Board Member:
Ensure Adequate Resources
- Actively participate in fundraising activities, ensuring that the foundation has sufficient resources to fulfill its mission.
- Assist in identifying and building relationships with potential donors, sponsors, and partners.
- Ensure the foundation is fiscally responsible and transparent in its financial dealings.
Enhance Public Image
- Serve as an ambassador for the foundation, promoting its achievements, objectives, and initiatives within the community.
- Uphold the reputation of the foundation by acting with integrity, transparency, and professionalism.
- Engage with community stakeholders, local institutions, and educational entities to build and maintain positive relationships.
- Ensure that the foundation operates within all applicable laws, guidelines, and ethical standards.
- Collaborate with fellow board members to set policies, make strategic decisions, and ensure the foundation’s bylaws are up-to-date and adhered to.
- Regularly review the foundation’s mission, vision, and goals, ensuring alignment with community needs and the broader educational landscape.
Effective Organizational Planning
- Contribute to the development of a strategic plan that outlines the foundation’s direction and priorities.
- Regularly review and assess the foundation’s progress toward meeting its strategic goals.
- Provide guidance and feedback to the foundation’s staff, ensuring that programs and initiatives align with the foundation’s strategy.
Committee Participation: Serve on at least one board committee and actively contribute to its work.
Giving Requirements: Personally contribute to the foundation annually at a level that is meaningful and in line with the foundation’s giving guidelines.
Attendance Guidelines: Attend a minimum of 80% of board meetings annually. Engage actively in board discussions and decision-making processes.
Continuous Learning: Commit to ongoing education and professional development as it pertains to the foundation’s mission and the board’s roles and responsibilities.
Collaboration: Work collaboratively with fellow board members, foundation staff, and other stakeholders.
Conflict of Interest: Disclose any potential conflicts of interest and adhere to the foundation’s conflict of interest policy.
- Passion for education and the foundation’s mission.
- Experience in governance, fundraising, strategic planning, or related areas.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
- Commitment to the foundation’s core values and principles.